There are various locations that exist in the current build of Darkest Dungeon. Most of them can only be accessed by going on a mission, however.
This is the hub for any player, it allows you to do various things from upgrade characters to unlock new skills and relieve stress. For more information, click here.
Ruins is the first dungeon that may be explored by new players, and is home to the Necromancer and Prophet bosses, along with various types of human and unholy enemies. It is recommended that when you buy the following items when entering the Ruins dungeon: 8 pieces of Provisions (increase by 4 per available Firewood), 2 Keys, 2 Shovels, 5-8 Torches, Holy Water, and Herbs. This is because most of these items can be used with the environment to get loot or heirlooms.
- Bosses: Necromancer and Prophet
- Monsters: Bone Courtier, Bone Soldier, Bone Arbalist, Bone Defender, Bone Spearman, Bone Captain, Gargoyle
- Recommended Party Members: Crusader, Vestal, Bounty Hunter, Leper, Hellion, Plague Doctor
- Focus on: Dealing high amounts of damage to Unholy enemies, pulling annoying backline targets to the front, and inflicting Blight upon high-Bleed resist enemies.
Warrens is another dungeon that is home to the Swine and Flesh bosses, along with various types of beast and human enemies. It is recommended that you buy the following items when entering the Warrens dungeon: 8 pieces of Provisions (increase by 4 per available Firewood), Key, 2 Shovels, 5-8 Torches, Holy Water, Herbs, and a Bandage. This is because most of these items can be used with the environment to get loot or heirlooms.
- Bosses: Swine and Flesh
- Monsters: Carrion Eater, Large Carrion Eater, Swine Wretch, Swine Slasher, Swine Drummer, Swine Chopper, Swinetaur
- Recommended Party Members: Hellion, Hound Master, Plague Doctor, Occultist, Highwayman, Man-at-Arms
- Focus on: Taking out the squishy targets in the back that annoying by damaging them directly and killing any large enemies by focusing on Bleeding and Blighting them.
Weald is another dungeon that is home to the Hag and Brigand Pounder bosses, along with various types of eldritch, unholy, and beast monsters. It is recommended that you buy the following items when entering the Weald dungeon: 8 pieces of Provisions (increase by 4 per available Firewood), 2 Keys, 2 Shovels, 5-8 Torches, Antivenom, Herbs, and a Bandage. This is because most of these items can be used with the environment to get loot or heirlooms.
- Bosses: Hag and Brigand Pounder
- Monsters: Crone, Gnasher, Fungal Scratcher, Fungal Artillery, Unclean Giant, Ectoplasm, Large Ectoplasm
- Recommended Party Members: Highwayman, Leper, Abomination, Vestal, Hellion
- Focus on: Dealing a large amount of damage to enemies as fast as possible, killing the backline enemies that annoy your party.
The Cove is the second to last dungeon in the game, and is home to the Siren and Drowned Crew bosses. It is filled with mainly eldritch and some unholy enemies. It’s recommended that you buy the following items when entering the Cove dungeon: 8 pieces of Provisions (increase by 4 per available Firewood), 2 Keys, 2-3 Shovels, 5-8 Torches, and 1-2 Herbs.
- Bosses: Siren and Drowned Crew
- Monsters: Pelagic Grouper, Pelagic Shaman, Pelagic Guardian, Sea Maggot, Deep Stinger, Drowned Thrall, Uca Crusher
- Recommended Party Members: Plague Doctor, Bounty Hunter, Occultist, Abomination, Arbalest
- Focus on: Blighting the Eldritch enemies, pulling the Shamans to the frontline of the party, trying to rush down damage as fast as possible to take the least amount of damage.
The final dungeon in the game, filled with eldritch, beast and unholy enemies. This area and the map layouts are completely scripted and in order to complete the game you must finish four quests, as follows: Kill 1 Shuffling Horror, Activate 3 Iron Crowns, Activate 1 Locus Beacon, and Kill 1 Heart of Darkness. You can only enter the Darkest Dungeon with a party of Lv. 6 characters, and if you do, you cannot abandon the quest without losing one of your party members (unless you only have one left, in which case they will survive), so be prepared before entering. Along with this, characters who enter the Darkest Dungeon will never be able to return to do a quest there, as marked by a torch in the Hero Roster. Marked heroes do not occupy a slot in the roster so you do not need to dismiss them if you want to have them available for other quests.
Due to the map layouts being scripted, you’ll never need shovels and keys. Antivenom and bandages are useful due to the fact that bleed and blight is common in the area. Torches and food is also highly recommended to buy as the quests can really take a toll on your party. There will be no traps or nighttime ambushes and hunger checks are rare. If you complete a quest, all the heroes in your roster will be removed of all stress. Once you complete this dungeon’s last quest, you will finish the game and have the option of starting NG+.
- Bosses: Shuffling Horror and Ancestor – Heart of Darkness
- Monsters: Ascended Brawler, Ascended Witch, Rapturous Cultist, Cultist Priest, Malignant Growth, Defensive Growth, Flesh Hound, Polyp, Templar Gladiator, Templar Sniper, Templar Warlord, Templar Impaler, Mammoth Cyst, White Stalk Cell, Antibody
- Recommended Party Members: Occultist, Leper, Hellion, Grave Robber, Vestal
- Focus on: Bringing items that are more utility based for your party, defeating enemies as quickly as possible to take the least amount of damage from bleed/blight, making sure your stress doesn’t go too high in the fights here.