EditSun and Moon Pokemon Bank Update
As of January 25th, 2017, the Pokemon Bank and Poke Tranporter are now compatible with Pokemon Sun and Moon. You can also get Mewnium Z by accessing the Pokemon Bank until October 2, 2017. Read more below.
The January 2017 update did more than just add compatibility with Pokemon Sun and Moon, and the Virtual Console versions of Red, Blue, and Yellow. Pokemon Bank also added a Pokedex feature and is offering a gift incentive in the form of Mew’s Z-Crystal.
All you have to do to retrieve a Mewnium Z is access Pokemon Bank with Pokemon Sun or Moon in your 3DS before October 2, 2017. The item will then be retreivable through the Mystery Gift option of your start up menu in Pokemon Sun or Moon. Note that only one Mewnium Z is given per Pokemon Bank account, not Pokemon Sun or Moon cartridge.
The Pokemon Bank‘s new Pokedex feature will store Pokedex data from your Pokemon X, Y, Omega Ruba, Alpha Sapphire, Sun, and Moon games, no transferring required. Now you don’t need all of your Pokemon in one place to work on your National Pokedex! Simply start up Pokemon Bank with the games inserted (or downloaded) to connect and start your own Pokemon Bank National Dex.
You can even search in this Pokedex as you can normally in your games.
For more information on the Pokemon Bank, Poke Transporter, and how to transfer your old Pokemon into Pokemon Sun and Moon, continue reading below.
If you’re looking for how to trade Pokemon between Pokemon Sun and Moon, use the Quick Link feature in the Menu and see the how-to.
Pokemon Sun and Moon are not directly compatible with the Generation 6 series of games: Pokemon X and Y; and Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. You need a special app called the Pokemon Bank to transfer your Pokemon between the generations.
Transporting Pokemon into Sun and Moon from Pokemon White, White 2, Black, Black 2 and the Virtual Console games Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow is also possible with Poke Transporter, which comes bundled with Pokemon Bank.
The apps are available for download in the Nintendo eShop on the 3DS for a $4.99 yearly service fee.
You must connect to WiFi with your 3DS to use the Pokemon Bank and Poke Transporter, and update them with the January 2017 update before they will work with Pokemon Sun and Moon.
Pokemon Bank is an application that allows you to upload and store up to 3000 Pokemon to the internet. It acts much like the PCs you find inside Pokemon Centers in the game, allowing you to view and sort your Pokemon. The service will require an annual fee of $4.99.
Download the app onto the 3DS to use it with any number of physical or digital copies of Pokemon X and Y, Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and Pokemon Sun and Moon at any time after obtaining the Pokedex in the game.
While connected to the internet, on your 3DS’ Home Screen, press both L and R buttons to bring up the QR Code capture screen. This QR Code on the right will take you directly to the Pokemon Bank eShop page.
With one of the compatible Pokemon games inserted, you’ll be able to peruse your in-game Pokemon PC to make easy transfers to Pokemon Bank. Your game’s PC Boxes will be viewable and searchable on the bottom screen, and Pokemon Bank will be on the top screen.
Pokemon transfers from the Pokemon Bank into Pokemon Sun and Moon are one way. Meaning, if a Pokemon from X, Y, Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire in the Pokemon Bank is transferred into Pokemon Sun or Moon, it will not be transferable back into the older generation of games (but will be able to go back to Pokemon Bank).
Poke Transporter allows you to upload Pokemon from the physical DS games Pokemon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 and the 3DS Virtual Console titles Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow, into Pokemon Bank.
The transfer is one way, which means once they are transported to the Pokemon Bank, they will not be retrievable by the older generation or Virtual Console games.
Pokemon transported into Pokemon Bank from Virtual Console Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow are only transferable into Pokemon Sun and Moon.
Poke Transporter will not work without purchasing an annual pass for Pokemon Bank.
EditHow to Transfer Gen 5 and Gen 1 with Poke Transporter
Transferring Pokemon from Generation 5 games and Virtual Console Red, Blue and Yellow games to Pokemon Sun and Moon require a few steps:
- In your copy of Pokemon Black, White, Black 2, White 2; Virtual Console Pokemon Red, Blue, or Yellow game, move only the Pokemon you’d like to transfer to the first PC storage box and save the game.
- Open up Poke Transporter (it’s an app separate from the Pokemon Bank on your 3DS’ menu) and transfer all Pokemon in the first box over to the Pokemon Bank’s Transport Box.
- Open up Pokemon Bank and transfer the Pokemon from the Transport Box (to the left of Pokemon Bank Box 1) to one of the other regular Pokemon Bank boxes. This can be done one at a time or by selecting multiple Pokemon by clicking the SELECT button before choosing Pokemon with the A button.
- Empty the Transport Box of all Pokemon before you repeat the process, as you won’t be able to use Poke Transporter again unless the Transport Box is empty.
- Mew obtained with glitches and MissingNo cannot be transported into Pokemon Bank. Mew and MissingNo may corrupt other Pokemon’s name data that were held in the same box.
EditHow are Pokemon’s Stats from Red, Blue, and Yellow Determined?
Only Nintendo Honk Kong released these details. According to Serebii.net, which translated the page, the following will be applied to your Virtual Console Red, Blue and Yellow Pokemon when transferred to Pokemon Bank:
- All Pokemon will have their Hidden Ability, if it’s available
- Guaranteed 3 max IVs
- Effort Values are erased
- Gender is random
- Shiny is based on the Pokemon’s IVs when still in the Gen 1 game
- Nature is determined by the Exp. the Pokemon has in the Gen 1 game (see chart below an Anon posted, currently being passed around on Imgur)
EditPokemon Bank and Generation Four
Pokemon Bank and Poke Transporter are not compatible with Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, SoulSilver and HeartGold. The Pokemon from these games must first be transported to Pokemon Black or White, which requires two DS or 3DS.
In Pokemon Black or White, go to the Poke Transfer Lab on Route 15. Have the other DS on with the Diamond, Pearl, SoulSilver or HeartGold cartridge inside. Follow the prompts from the Poke Transfer Lab and use DS Download Play on the DS with the older generation game.
For the full FAQ, see the Pokemon Bank official website. We’ve highlighted a few note-worthy answers below:
- Poke Transporter will not be available without Pokemon Bank.
- You will need an internet connection to use Pokemon Bank.
- All legal, non-hacked Pokemon can be transferred to the Pokemon Bank.
- Depositing or withdrawing Pokemon will NOT cause them to evolve if they normally evolve through Trading.
- If your Pokemon is holding an item, the item will be dropped and sent to your bag before it is transferred to the Bank. If your bag is full, the item will disappear.
- If you still have Pokemon in the Pokemon Bank when the trial or annual fee period passes, you will have a short time to withdraw your Pokemon. If you don’t withdraw them in this short period, the Pokemon will be lost.
If you play the demo, you are able to tranfer not only Ash Greninja but the items you pick up from the demo to the main game, to do so open the demo with the full game either downloaded or inserted and go to the pokemon center, talk to the professor and he will give you the option to transfer!